Neurology Specific Literature Search   
Click Here to return To Results


Intracranial Hemorrhage Associated with Cocaine Abuse:A Prospective Autopsy Study
Neurol 46:1291-1296, Nolte,K.B.,et al, 1996
See this aricle in Pubmed

Article Abstract
Ten of 17(59%)of all non-traumatic intracranial hemorrhages were associated with a positive toxicology for cocaine.Seven(70%)of these were parenchymal hemorrhages,and the remaining three(30%)were subarachnoid hemorrhages(ruptured berry aneurysms).No vasculitis or other vasculopathy was identified.Conclusions:These findings implicate cocaine use as a significant risk factor for fatal brain hemorrhage and may explain,in part,the increased incidence of hemorrhagic stroke in some drug-using cohorts.The lack of specific patohlogic findings suggests that cocaine- associated intracranial hemorrhages are a consequence of the pharmacodynamic effect of cocaine and not a cocaine-induced vasculopathy.
Related Tags
(click to filter results - removes previous filter)

basal ganglia,hemorrhage
cerebellar hemorrhage
cerebrovascular accident
cerebrovascular accident,young adult
drug abuse
drug abuse,neurologic complications of
intracerebral hemorrhage
intracranial hemorrhage
subarachnoid hemorrhage
urine test in toxic screen

Click Here to return To Results